PURPOSE

TO~further the knowledge of nature, and encourage protection, and conservation of it.

Thank you to all who inspired me, taught me, and appreciated the sharing of my photos and information. My passion for God's creation has grown immensely and I am grateful to have had the opportunity to grow and to continue to grow...

PHOTOS


click on the photos to enlarge them

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

THE WHEEL BUG~

Investigating the Assassins

INSECTS~
 insects have 6 jointed legs, two antennae, and an exoskeleton made of chitin the same thing our hair and nails are made up of. They have a  three-part body consisting of a head (with the mouthparts, eyes, and antennae), thorax (where the legs and wings  attach), and the abdomen (with the reproductive, and most digestive organs). 

The wheel bugs belong to the Assassin family, and were seen by me for the first time this past summer, are very beneficial for our gardens and yards as they keep the pesty insect population at bay.
Their bite can be very severe so don't play around with them! It can take up to six months for the 
painful bite to heal.
I just love these bugs, they are slow moving, great posers for my nikon and great color as they change from brilliant orange/red, to a deep gun metal gray.

here a wheel bug nymph in spring RED


adult wheel bug~check out that beak! 


adult wheel bug, see the wheel on top of it's back (looks
more like a gear to me)


Wheel bugs mating... summer love!
they are around 1 1/2 in to 2 in in length, not a 
bug that you can miss! 

No comments: