PURPOSE

TO~further the knowledge of nature, and encourage protection, and conservation of it.

Thank you to all who inspired me, taught me, and appreciated the sharing of my photos and information. My passion for God's creation has grown immensely and I am grateful to have had the opportunity to grow and to continue to grow...

PHOTOS


click on the photos to enlarge them

Friday, June 1, 2012

RAISING an eight spotted forester moth~

Eight spotted forester caterpillar


you can see by the ruler the size
it was hard to get a really good photo in focus
it was so teensy weensy...May 23,2012




here it is May 27, 2012,
forgot to add the ruler,but much larger
and fatter...


and again June 1, 2012 at over 4cm
give or take since it was a bit uncooperative and 
preferring to be left alone since it isn't eating
anymore and preparing to cocoon?


then back in the netted container
after a good cleaning of frass and 
adding fresh grape leaves and virginia creeper.


looking forward to hopefully sharing some
moth photos! 
June 2,2012~cat began acting strangely, not eating and apparently looking for a "way out" of this netting...I looked up eight spotted foresters to see the pupal stages and evidently they eat til they are done eating, then fall to the ground and burrow into old rotted wood to pupate and they overwinter there...I don't have the set up for that, didn't want to lose the worm, so I put him on some lovely grape vine near virginia creeper in case he wanted to eat a bit more and hoping to see "this guy" next year...


2 comments:

asta curtis said...

We are raising a caterpillar now. I do hope we success!

Robin Armstrong Seeber said...

oh wow, this was a long time ago! how did it go?